I love potato salad and it’s one of my favourites when we have invited guests for a BBQ or light dinner, where I may serve it with cold cuts of roast chicken.
The recipe quantities I have given can be adjusted to personal preferences. This is not a cake we are baking so very little can go wrong and experimenting is also OK.
- 3 – 4 hard boiled eggs
- 8 – 10 medium sized potatoes
- 250 gram. Gherkins
- 1 onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 – 1.5 cups plain mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dill (dry or fresh)
- 3 tablespoons parsley preferably fresh
- optional – crispy bacon slices broken into small pieces
- Boil the potatoes (peeled or not) then allow them to cool and cut them into small pieces
- Chop up the hard boiled eggs.
- Chop gherkins into small pieces.
- Chop up the onion
- Grate the carrot
- fry the bacon (optional)
- then combine all the above in one bowl.
- Mix together the mayonnaise and dill.
- Then add some of the juice from the gherkin jar to thin out the mayonnaise a little.
- Now add this to the potato salad and stir it well.
- Leave it to draw for a while, stirring occasionally before serving.
- Garnish with parsley and serve.
I like to leave the potato salad in the refrigerator overnight before serving it the next day. I do remove it approximately 1 hour before serving because I feel the flavours are better at room temperature.
So have fun, I hope you enjoy the recipe and let me know what you think.
til next time……happy cooking!